Monday, September 23, 2013

Management - Leading, Coaching, Mentoring!

Well, I think it's time to switch up topics again.  With this posting, I'd like to change lanes and look at the human aspect of management.  As Leaders and Managers within the technology field, we need to be able to shift from the technical aspects of our jobs and deal with the individual team members at the drop of a hat.

Whether we realize it or not, we swing between different roles during the day as we move between issues and projects.  Depending on what is happening, we need to get in to the technical details of a specific sub-system or project; an hour later we may need to display our ability to drive to a decision; in another moment we may need to handle a disagreement or communication issue between two members of our team; or, we may need to mentor or coach an employee to continue their growth as they prepare for new opportunities.  Day to day, our bearings shift as we navigate between the various events that surface, that want to take us off task.

As I look back on my career - and, yes, it has been an interesting ride with paths yet to be explored - I think the toughest shift I've made was when I went from being the programmer pounding out code to a manager no longer responsible for creating the code.  I've touched on this subject before, so I won't belabor the issue.  That said, hitting that particular brick wall made me assess what my role was, what was important for me to focus on and what I needed to "give up".  My boss at the time let it happen and I give him a lot of credit for giving me the space to fail and then sitting me down and forcing me to understand my role.

As my boss pointed out to me at the time - I was there not to be the technical expert, but to mentor and guide the people on my team; to remove the roadblocks and ensure that my people knew what it was they were supposed to do and ensure that they were provided the proper resources to get it done.  I was there to keep them focused and to deliver results.  Along the way, I learned that there were limits to what I could do and that I would never be able to provide all of the resources that my teams wanted.  Nor could I feasibly address every project that was requested - it was up to me to find the balance between what was requested and what the company and the available resources could provide.

Now, all that said, I earned some bruises along the way.  There were times as a young manager, I didn't necessarily treat people the way that they should have been treated - sometimes my driver personality got the better of me and I ended up doing or saying something that wasn't as well thought out as it should have been.  In those moments, I was lucky enough to have a boss that continued to coach me, to teach me how to smooth the edges.  These learning experiences through several mentors have shaped me in to the role that I play today.  Do I still sometimes let the driver in me get the better part of me - yep, but it happens a lot less than it used to these days.

People that I respected took the time to invest in me.  They knew when I was at a point that I needed a stretch goal; they knew when it was time to take me out of my comfort zone; they gave me room to make mistakes and fail; they let me come and ask questions; they let me make a difference.  And when needed, they pulled me back from the abyss.  Even today, I am mentored by someone that I respect and that I feel is pushing me and preparing me for that next step in my career.

Not every boss I've ever had was a mentor - I've had my share of clunkers along the way.  Case in point, the boss that flew in to town right after my department had been moved under his to inform me, and I quote, "I don't know what it is you do, I don't want to know what it is you do, if you need something, tell me who I need to talk to and what I need to say".  Yikes!  Or, there was the owner of a company that I worked for that felt it was appropriate to verbally abuse everyone on her staff - the rush for the door was quick once it started and to this day I'm sure she never understood the message.

Somewhere along the way, I learned that I could also be a mentor.  Not everyone wants a mentor, but to those that do, I attempt to be available.  Sometimes, I identify someone who I think has the potential to act in a different role and I initiate the conversation.  Sometimes individuals ask if I would be interested in giving them guidance.  Sometimes these people report to me or within my organization.  Sometimes these people don't even work for the same company I work for.  However, it's my turn to give something back.

What are you giving back to your teams?  Who is it that your mentoring so that they can take that next step?

Tags: Leadership, Mentoring, Management, Lifecycle, Software Development

For more information on David L. Collison: LinkedIn Profile


No comments:

Post a Comment