Thursday, August 14, 2014

Find a Mentor ... Be a Mentor!

Maybe you're in your first job, maybe you're at the pinnacle of your career, it doesn't matter, all of us need a mentor and those of us that are moving up the ladder need to lend a helping hand to those on their way up!
You ask yourself, why do I need mentor? Well, let's be frank - you don't know it all. If you're new in your role, or have been in your role 15 years, there is someone you can learn from. Maybe you've noticed someone within your organization that you respect. Maybe you've been introduced to someone outside the company that you feel you could learn from.
Before you make any moves, sit down and figure out what it is you are expecting from a mentor. What is it that you want to learn from them?
Next, find an issue that you're dealing with that addresses the above question. When you have a situation at hand, open up the conversation by letting the person know that you've been watching the way that they handle themselves and really respect their abilities. Then ask if they wouldn't mind giving you some advice on a specific situation. Once you've broken the ice and started developing a relationship with the person, ask them if they would be open to providing you career advice on a regular basis. Let them know up front that you don't want to eat up a lot of their time, that you understand that they are successful and you are willing to minimize the time spent together to get this advice.
When you're having this discussion make sure that the person your approaching is relaxed. Don't approach this conversation when you know they've just gotten through a tough meeting or had a rotten week at the office.
Now let's flip this around! Those of you that have started moving up the ladder, when's the last time that you intentionally found someone to help take their next step? If you don't take the time to help the next person up, how does the organization find the next talented person when it's needed? Part of the human experience is sharing knowledge! I'm sure each of us have seen someone struggling as they try to figure out which path moves them forward. Remember when you felt that way and someone put a guiding hand on your shoulder and opened the door for you. Now is your time to return the favor.
Look at the people that you meet with on a regular basis. Is there someone that you recognize has the potential to be something bigger? Introduce yourself, if you haven't already. Let them know that you see something bigger in their future, that they have the potential to grow and that your willing to help them. If you see a project that they are struggling with - give them some free advice on what they might do next. If you see them struggling with certain conversations - tell them how you might approach the situation.
Now, I'll let you in on a little secret - I found my mentor by accident and found myself being mentored without realizing it at first! I had actually been in management for a while and thought I was all that, I was comfortable and having fun. What I didn't realize is that my personality was causing some of the pain that I felt in my role. I'm a Driver by nature - I see a problem and I begin attacking it to solve the issue. I can be very vocal and sometimes in my communication I can be blunt. I immediately head for the goal posts and will drag everyone across the line to get the problem solved.
My mentor also happened to be my boss. Without realizing it at the time, she was coaching me on understanding how to recognize what made other people tick and how to change my approach to working with people. She would take me to meetings I didn't necessarily need to be in, just so I could see how she was handling certain situations. She never formally told me what she was doing, it was only after some time that I figured out she was 'teaching me'.
During this time, the organization began training all of the supervisors and managers, taking them through a Working Styles course. It was during this class that I realized what she had been doing with me since I had started reporting to her. My mentor worked with me a lot outside of that class to help me break some bad habits, how to improve my chance of having a successful exchange of ideas with others. I won't say I'm an expert at it, but I'm a lot better at it today than in the past. 
If you'd like more information on my background: LinkedIn Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment