Sunday, January 6, 2013

An Introduction ...



Hello!  First, I’d like to introduce myself.  My name is David Collison.  I touched a computer for the first time when my friend showed me an old teletype terminal sitting in our middle school at the ripe age of 12.  Yes, a teletype terminal!  (If you don’t know what a teletype terminal is – that should be your first clue to the fact that I’ve been in the technology field for a long time.)  I pretty much knew right away that being around computers was what I wanted to do with my life.  And, 36 years later, I’m still at it.

I’ve done everything from sell computers – the original IBM PC’s and compatibles, to installation and repair work.  I’ve created and taught various computer classes.  I eventually found a job as an applications developer and worked my way up to management.  Today I am in the role of Vice President over Applications Development Teams – programming, project management, technical leads and quality assurance.  I’ve worked in small companies and large multi-national firms – I was also a partner in a growing consulting firm.  I’ve managed team members, budgets, customers and had failures as well as success.  I love what I do.

No the developer jobs aren’t all moving off-shore.  Many companies are beginning to figure out that due to intellectual property and real costs associated with having software development off-shore is not beneficial and are beginning to move many of these jobs back to the US.  If you have any doubts, look no further than the fact that GM has made the decision to insource its IT work – bringing 10,000 jobs that had been outsourced.  The following URL links to one of the stories that discusses the GM strategy to insource their IT work.


Yes, the pendulum swings, and IT work is readily available for those that want to find it here in the US.

That said, you can’t just decide you want to be in the technology field and go find a job.  Once must either get training or find ways to get experience so that they have the skill set that employers have as requirements for the various jobs that are available.  If you want to be a programmer – get trained, find a way to create programs and be able to talk about your experiences.  If you want to be a technical project manager – maybe you can volunteer to lead technical projects in your current company.  If you want to repair computers, build networks or manage telecommunication – find a way to get trained and potentially volunteer to use your new found skills to help out your church or a local charity.  Use these experiences to break in to the field.

I’ve started this blog because I’m passionate about what I do!  This is a great field to be a part of – lots of opportunities, the money is good and it is never boring.  I want to encourage others to look at getting into technology.  I want to tell stories that reflect on my experiences as a developer, as a project manager, as a manager and as a recruiter.  Hopefully, along the way, I’ll spark an interest in someone out there!  Because, folks that’s what matters – getting the next generation interested in making a difference.

If you'd like more information on my background: LinkedIn Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment