Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Make the decision to learn ...



In my last entry, I talked about the need for people interested in software development to download a compiler or mobile development tool and to start “playing”.  Using tutorials on the internet, reading books and, if they could afford it, classes at their local college.  With this entry, I want to expand on my last entry and talk about additional ways that people looking at a career in creating software can put a foot forward, expand their knowledge and get a leg up on the competition.

First, one of the things that I forgot to link to in my last entry was a list of some of the more popular scripting languages in use today.  These are all free to download.

Web Scripting Languages:


So, between my last post and the above links – anyone should be able to find a “language” that interests them and get playing.

The only computer languages that I learned formally were assembler, Cobol and fortran (and yes, that should be a reminder that I’ve been doing this for some time).  Since my education, I’ve taught myself language after language: RPG III, C, C++, C#, Clipper, VisualBasic, Java, Ruby, and frameworks such as Ruby on Rails.  Before the internet became accessible – that meant buying books at the local bookstore and immersing myself in the books to figure it all out.  The cool thing about development is that once you figure out how to program in one language – the concepts translate from one language to the next.  Picking up the next language is much easier.

It doesn’t matter what it is you attempt to do, but keep it simple at first.  Hit the internet and look for primers/how-to guides that introduce you to the language of your choice.  Get on websites for newbies and ask questions – lots of questions.  There is no question that can’t be asked.  The beauty about the internet is you’ll get answers to your questions by someone who has been there – in your shoes!

Once the internet came on the scene it dramatically altered the way that I could learn.  Suddenly, the world was my classroom.  I distinctly remember the first time I figured out I could post my questions to a developer board via the internet and get a reply.  It was close to 1:00 AM and I had been toiling away on a problem – attempting to understand how to do something in VisualBasic (VB).  I’d been programming in VisualBasic for several years at that point, but was attempting to build a fairly sophisticated client/server app that was going to need to sync between multiple locations.  As I sat there staring at the screen, I decided to put a question up on a developer site that I had been frequenting dedicated to VB.  Within an hour of posting my question, I had received answers from as far away as Australia.  While today, that is normal – back then, it was a new experience.

My direction to you – don’t be afraid.  It is ok to hit developer web sites and ask for help.  Someone will reach out to respond to you.  That’s the whole beauty of these sites.  They're frequented by experts that don’t mind spending some time passing along advice or knowledge to people that want to learn.  Yes, sometimes you’ll get a response from someone that really should have crawled out the other side of the bed.  But, most of the time, you’ll get answers or advice from people who genuinely want to see you succeed.

You can learn, so make your choice – pick a language and GO!

View my LinkedIn profile and request to connect: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-collison/1/640/503/

No comments:

Post a Comment